Why do you buy a book?
1. A friend’s recommendation 49 percent
2. Familiarity with the author 45 percent
3. Description on jacket 32 percent
4. Reviews 22 percent
5. Advertisement 21 percent
6. Place on bestsellers list 17 percent
7. Reading group pick 16 percent
8. Cover design 12 percent
So . . . why do you buy a book? I buy tons of books, and my deciding factors are usually a friend’s recommendation, reviews, and advertisements. (I read reviews in the NYT book review, TIME, NEWSWEEK, PEOPLE, and PUBLISHER’S WEEKLY. A stellar review in any of those will spur my urge to buy. Ditto for a provacative ad.)
So–what are your reasons for buying a book?